Index Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Sweatdrop Forums > Main Category > Tea Room > What manga are you reading now?

Old 21-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #1121
black-rider
sammy

SAILOR MOON MANGA VOLUME 1

*0*

err I enjoyed reading this very much. When I was 10 I absolutely loved watching it on TV but when I started collecting manga as a teenager it was out of print? well, it was never in any of the shops I went to. (apart from a french version I bought from oxfam and passed onto a friend who was learning french)

Kodansha have re-dubbed it I think? but its got the nice cultural explanations in the back just like in XXXholic etc.

I think I might have to save for volume 2 ... Sailor Venus hasn't made a proper appearance yet. (I don't think I can afford a full set now that I collect different comics and things)

I don't know if I'd recommend it to everyone ... probably still great for the target audience but I think giving it a proper 'review' is clouded by remembering being 10.

ummm I've not bought volume 4 of Children of the Sea yet, that was the only series I decided I was collecting last year. they're beautifully printed SIG volumes but that makes them expensive to follow.

err and I'm about to read Saturn Apartments. Someone recommended it to me a long time ago and I just never got round to it.
Old 21-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #1122
Sebastian
A Colorful Antithesis

Send a message via AIM to Sebastian Send a message via MSN to Sebastian
-->

Hellsing. Oh man, this is probably the greatest series I ever read. First series I read that literally had me in tears at one point because one of my favorite characters died xD All in all, it takes the ruins that Twilight turned vampires into and makes them oh so beautifully kickass again.
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #1123
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

Send a message via Yahoo to Karasu no Kazu
-->

Had another go at reading some Bleach recently.

This one I would dub the "batnuts-insane-man's shounen".

Karasu no Kazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #1124
Sebastian
A Colorful Antithesis

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasu no Kazu View Post
Had another go at reading some Bleach recently.

This one I would dub the "batnuts-insane-man's shounen".
I dunno, Bleach was always unappealingly repetitive to me...
Old 22-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1125
felneymike

I saw so much Bleach yaoi around the web I was quite put out when I found out the actual series is not yaoi.

Anyway I was recently reading through the first volume of The Captain, from April - September 1899. Just the complete stories and two short serials at the end of the book. The last serial is only in two parts but is brilliant. By weird circumstances the captain of a ship ends up captaining another smaller and slower ship, escaping the mutineers who have taken over his former ship and are chasing him. The chase is really edge-of-your-seat stuff, the writer knew what he was doing!
felneymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #1126
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
I dunno, Bleach was always unappealingly repetitive to me...
Yes, it seems to be just a bunch of very random (and long) fights with billions of characters. Billions of character who are all batnuts insane.

I actually quite like reading fanfics of it though, because that is apparently where all the character development happens.

... as well as the yaoi.

Old 23-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1127
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

Quote:
Yes, it seems to be just a bunch of very random (and long) fights with billions of characters. Billions of character who are all batnuts insane.
Of course some people love that! I've never enjoyed Bleach, but its just not my cup of tea, I can see why people like it though. I think the simple story arc/repetitive nature of shonen comics make more sense when you think about the format they're normally originally published in too. I think I'd read more shonen comics if I was just casually picking up a cheap monthly shonen magazine to read on my way to work or something ^^

Quote:
I actually quite like reading fanfics of it though, because that is apparently where all the character development happens.

... as well as the yaoi.
lmao!! XDDD
Old 25-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #1128
Hunter
is all tied up!

Kaz! Thanks for the quickie run-down of Naruto plottage!

The Bleach artist is mangaka who should be allowed to wind up his series and get some rest, imo. (Maybe at a sanatorium by the beach. With hot nurses. ) Because yes, Bleach isn't just incoherent, it's insane. It makes me wonder what sort of editing goes on if the plotlines don't make sense. It does look like he hasn't got an overall plan of where to take the series at all. The artwork is gorgeous (or was, last time I looked at a volume of Bleach) but yeah, I don't think that's necessarily enough. Of course, there are hordes of Bleach fans who will disagree with me here!

I remember being quite taken by Bleach when I first discovered it, but only for the first five or so volumes... when Orihime's hairclips turned out to have six superpowered people living inside them, I threw in the towel.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #1129
Sebastian
A Colorful Antithesis

-->

Heh, I watched all the way through Naruto up until they started Shippuuden, and then I stopped. Either way, I figure so long as I'm watching it in original japanese with subs, it's a LOT better.
Old 25-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #1130
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
Heh, I watched all the way through Naruto up until they started Shippuuden, and then I stopped. Either way, I figure so long as I'm watching it in original japanese with subs, it's a LOT better.
I think I like Shippuuden more in a way - well, the beginning of it.

I liked badass Sakura. She was AWESOME. Shame that didn't last very long! Shippuuden is really good until the obvious shark-jumping point where people start coming back to life after they die.

Can't say I particularly like the Bleach art very much. Dipping in and out I have found some very funny bits of insanity though. It's not quite the acid-trip bonkers-fest that is One Piece, but certainly has its moments.

Quote:
I think the simple story arc/repetitive nature of shonen comics make more sense when you think about the format they're normally originally published in too.
I'm not so sure - the fights are so long they often take several tankoubons to actually get going. I can't imagine what it would be like reading in 20 page segments.

Kubo and Kishimoto both could do with a little break, I reckon, and hot nurses always make things better!

ps. Subs all the way!

Old 25-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #1131
Hunter
is all tied up!

The worst idea ever for a doujinshi just popped into my head: Do a yaoi doujin of Kubo and Kishimoto meeting each other in this nursing home by the seaside and getting it on! Go on Kaz you know you want to!

...I think I need to go wash my brain now.
Old 31-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #1132
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Go on Kaz you know you want to!
No.

I do not.

Old 18-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #1133
felneymike

Just read the Commando comic "Flaming Dagger", it's brilliant! It's about some boys in occupied France who like reading a British comic featuring the daring pilot of that name. Later they decide to start sabotaging the Germans in minor ways and painting flaming dagger logos near their handiwork. Then a British plane with a flaming dagger painted on it is found in the local area and the authorities start to wonder just where the line between fact and fiction really is XD
Old 18-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #1134
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

I just spent a very happy ten minutes reading this - it's a French 24 hour comic, but translated, and it's hilarious and awesome
Old 20-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #1135
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Kitten View Post
I just spent a very happy ten minutes reading this - it's a French 24 hour comic, but translated, and it's hilarious and awesome
I agree. That was very cool!

Old 21-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #1136
Palmer-san
Emerging from a hole...

Been trying to reconnect to comics in general, picked up a few good reads of late...

Habibi by Craig Thompson:
This blew me away tbh, the details in patterning, the meditations on Islam and Christianity, Eastern and Western thought, and, at the heart of it, a beautiful love story that is tragic and veers away from mushy cliches.Highly recommended

Finder by Carla Speed McNeil:
I'm working my way through this meaty volume on the way to uni and back on the train. Complex characters, intimate storytelling and a well rounded alter future with well developed castes, social classes and tensions.

Fish and Chocolate by Kate Brown:
Read through these three short stories fairly quickly, then had to sit down and dwell on how deeply disturbing they were. Powerful explorations of the dark fears and tragedies of motherhood, bleak, but affecting and beautifully illustrated.
Old 21-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #1137
felneymike

Ooh I bought Habibi just because I liked the look of the cover and had a voucher on me. May have to start reading it.

But for now I'm working through the adventures of the "other" Mister Dare in British comics... Stan Dare, Boy Detective from Pluck in 1903 XD. In the first story he is accused of a theft from a bank vault and has to prove his innocence. In the second it jumps forwards a bit and he has set himself up as a private detective. He's currently fighting a gang called The League of the Black Serpent, who are planning a big robbery.
Old 21-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #1138
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

Great choices, Palmer-san I've read all of those, except I've only read a spin-off comic of Finder. I really liked the artwork and writing, but I had no idea what was going on 0_o Never the less, it was certainly enough that I want to pick up the main series at some point! I agree about Habibi, it was a fantastic balance between epic meditation and emotional characters, I really enjoyed it ^^

Currently I've been catching up on the last 4 issues of Phoenix, which I havent had time to read until last weekend. Everything in there is so good!! I'm particularly enjoying Pirates of Pangaea and Lost Boy now that their epic longer plots are getting into the swing of things Also I was proud of myself for spotting two of the lost phoenix feathers XD
Old 21-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #1139
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer-san View Post

Finder by Carla Speed McNeil:
I'm working my way through this meaty volume on the way to uni and back on the train. Complex characters, intimate storytelling and a well rounded alter future with well developed castes, social classes and tensions.
OH MY GOD YES!

This is seriously one of the best comics you will ever read. I absolutely love Finder. This also has the most amazing diversity and similarity between people ever! As for science-fiction world-building, my word, it is awesome. Characters: a top notch bunch. Details: You got it. Obsessive nerdy details: Yes. Excellent artwork. And for many years (15-20ish?) was self-published till it got picked up by Dark Horse last year.

Old 21-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #1140
Hunter
is all tied up!

Bex - Barbican Library has Finder! I know, because I borrowed it just the other day, so please don't go requesting it too soon! I got Finder, Mezolith (from the DFC ) and Laika, which I wound up reading first. (Libraries. Free comics when you're broke. Buy a librarian a drink today! )

Laika tells the story about the dog who wound up being the first living creature in space. It's fascinating and very touching, but I can't help but wish that the author would give himself a bit more space to breathe on the page. All the pages with all those tiny frames end up looking very cramped imo. But I'm still enjoying Laika very much!