Index Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Sweatdrop Forums > Main Category > Promote your work > Heavier Than Aer
View Poll Results: After seeing the cover of HTA would you be interested in buying the comic?
Yes 4 50.00%
No 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Pocket's
[[.Hyperdrive Determination.]]

Send a message via MSN to Pocket's Send a message via Yahoo to Pocket's
-->
manga Heavier Than Aer

...!A Superhero Romance!...

Aer is the most talked about superhero of her generation, smart and powerful she has defeated many a
villain. But very little is known about her. Where did she come from? Where did she get her powers why does she fight?

Doug is an under achieving journalist whose life has been consumed by an obsession with Aer. When he
literally finds the right kind of dirt on her, he realises he has the leverage he needs to get the worlds first
exclusive on the elusive heroine.

What happens when Aer finally lets someone in?

Me and Arale/Azure did this as a joint project together to create the Heavier Than Aer which we both I'd say very much enjoyed making this comic and we both hope that you'll like the comic also too which will hopefully up for sale at the LONDON MCM EXPO on the Indie Manga Table.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HTA.jpg (166.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 22-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

This looks and sounds awesome - I will be by to get a copy
Old 22-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Pocket's

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Kitten View Post
This looks and sounds awesome - I will be by to get a copy
Awesomes thank you Sun Kitten
Old 24-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

I put 'no' because it isn't the cover that makes me want to buy the comic, but the blurb you put up before that!
I love the concept! I'm really interested atm in seeing super heroes moving toward drama/romance rather then just action, and it sounds like you guys have gone for exactly the kind of thing I'd want in a super hero comic <3 I can't wait to get this!
Old 24-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
I put 'no' because it isn't the cover that makes me want to buy the comic, but the blurb you put up before that!
I love the concept! I'm really interested atm in seeing super heroes moving toward drama/romance rather then just action, and it sounds like you guys have gone for exactly the kind of thing I'd want in a super hero comic <3 I can't wait to get this!
Oh, haha, I counted the blurb as part of the cover since it's on the back It is the blurb that makes me interested. Like Bex says, it's really fun to see more emotional/dramatic takes on superheroes. The cover is good, and would probably make me take a look at the comic, but the blurb sells it to me
Old 24-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
エウレカ
( ̄~ ̄;)ウーン・・・

hi

i voted no, sorry !

the reason is - it looks very bland, the character has been cropped too much and there is little to no composition, my eye doesnt go anywhere or does it tell me anything about the comic.... if there was a hand gesture or something it would give me something to look at.

im with everyone here who said it sounds interesting when you read the back, but on the cover alone i wouldnt pick this up to get to reading it

an amazing example of a front cover is something like this: http://fav.me/d4cwcce (Xavier on DeviantArt)

good luck !
エウレカ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Laura
BACK IN THE GAME

I voted 'yes', because people who make their own comics should support other people who ALSO make their own comics :P In the vague hope that they will buy each other's too of course!! Support each other!! Or at least swap their own products?!

As I am not going to Expo (if you are taking them to Expo) then you should post where people can buy them online too.

DM if you want to trade or part-swap
Old 24-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Azure
Writer type

Send a message via AIM to Azure Send a message via MSN to Azure
-->

I'm sure Pockets didn't mean to make this a thread about cover versus content ( I think it's probably meant to mean are you interested in buying after what you've seen), The main thrust of this was to announce the fact the comic has been sent to print and *should* be ready for Expo, if it misses the deadline or you can't buy at Expo it will be available in the IndieManga shop soon after , thanks for your feedback though I'm sure Pockets will find it useful for his next project

Printing delivery has ended up a liiiitle tight so I am hoping these do arrive for expo. I think it's worth pointing out that they are also A4 ( so closer to US comic size than manga). Thanks for the support everyone.

.....have some more previews of the inside....and some dialogue....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preview_1.jpg (154.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg preview_2.jpg (153.6 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Azure : 24-10-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Ushio-kun
Nocturnal Scribbler

Yo, I should be good for a copy!

Judging a book on its cover - aren't we all encouraged never to do that?
Ushio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
Pocket's

-->

Thank you all for the comments there muchly appreciated as always from me.

I have to apologise of my misunderstanding about what I've meant on the poll as it was meaning a overall effect which was what Azure is saying about it so I say sorry everyone

Still though I'm really hoping the comics come through in time as it be amazing to sell them also at the London MCM EXPO this weekend coming up as I'm really hype about it plus like my HSR I'll be more than happy to sign the HTA as well.

Still though this project has been amazing and we never know what might be next...
Old 25-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

Is this a standalone story?
Old 25-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

Ah I'm sorry, I wasn't saying the cover was bad in my post. I just saw the poll and put 'no' as a joke, since I saw the post before the poll was put up and was won over instantly with the sentence '!A Superhero Romance!'.
I think the cover is fine, TBH although I'll find the odd cover that catches my eye first, when it comes to comics, I'm mostly either won over by the blurb or the art style, which tends to show itself on a cover no matter what the composition etc. And then I only buy the book if, after flicking through, I find the pages and well paced and spacious XDD
Old 25-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Azure
Writer type

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Kitten View Post
Is this a standalone story?
Yes it's written as a stand alone .
Old 25-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
Pocket's

-->

Yeah it's a standalone I was meaning future different titles that I might be making but my focus is to see how HTA fairs as it's the best I've drawn into the comic
Old 25-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
erininamori
Professional Animator

Yo, I think people shouldn't 'tip-toe' or 'walk on eggshells' when critiquing someone, because it's actually much more insulting. The only comments that matter to a great artist are the bad ones, so if its bad just say so. I don't know if your all close friends or whatever, but to not point out what is fundamentally wrong with the cover isn't helping him/her, friend or not.

Now, I clicked NO because it has no soul, it doesn't have me raise an eyebrow, frown, smile or even want to read the back as previous comments were saying it was the sale point let alone have it proudly displayed on my bookshelf, no offense. Manga/Comic/GN art is often very pretty, and is usually what appeals to readers when deciding to pick it up off the shelf, to shrug off the importance of a comic book cover is asking for a hard sell as often times good art can sell itself whether people admire the artist' skill or the sex appeal.

Here are some examples of different compositions, typography and art style.

The Heavier Than Aer cover has a low colour range, everything seems to be the same and I have a hard time telling the character from the background, next time make something more opaque, and make sure to show the characters eyes, because with out it I can't feel any soul, or have good gesture.

Saying whether I would buy it or not going by the summary on the back is irrelevant to the OP poll and is dodging the question.

@Pockets, on a professional level I think you have ways to go, but on a novice level I think it's some of the better stuff I've seen from novice manga artists, that being said compared to a lot of novice works I've purchased in the past I think this one stands out the most because if nothing else, it has some attitude. I hope you take that as a compliment.
erininamori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
Pocket's

-->

Thank you I know what you mean I know I have a way to go to get there and I'm always learning and taking on board everyone's opinions and views which I'm always thankful for...

I know my artwork isn't perfect but I'm one person to never give up and I keeping in mind one thing I have always kept which is to enjoy and love the experiences I have as an artists prospective but still though I'm a understanding person even if some crits can be harsh its what we need though sometimes to give us a kick to move forwards which I always do
Old 28-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Azure
Writer type

-->

Look what arrived yay ! see you all at Expo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 435037693.jpg (85.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 29-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #18
Pocket's

-->

All I can say Azure is can I have a copy for myself please?