Index Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Sweatdrop Forums > Manga Workshop > Manga Challenge > Remix Your Old Art!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #41
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

Send a message via Yahoo to Karasu no Kazu
-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Wow, it's really cool to see those two versions - Kentaro (or was it Kintaro? Or do I have his name completely wrong? ) just looks exactly the way I pictured him when you described him to me, months ago. And Ayame is so cool and gorgeous! You gotta draw this comic soon, okay? Pretty please!
Kintaro desu. And that's cool. I found it really hard to get his hair looking how I wanted... basically I wanted it styled after a raven wing, but not as overly-anime spiky as it was back in the day. Actually, Ayame's hair was difficult too, as it was always described as floor length, but with half a bun at the top.

Karasu no Kazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #42
Spookyruthy
Sweatdrop Artist

Send a message via AIM to Spookyruthy Send a message via MSN to Spookyruthy
-->
Sweatdrop Member

I had a lot of fun doing this Too much fun I think.

I know the remix I've done isn't full-body (I lacked time) but this is what she looks like now :3

I wanted to give her a lip piercing but she's got a set design as she's the mascot of my University's anime club
Old 08-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #43
Darth Mongoose
The DupliKate

Send a message via AIM to Darth Mongoose Send a message via MSN to Darth Mongoose
-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookyruthy View Post
I wanted to give her a lip piercing but she's got a set design as she's the mascot of my University's anime club
Were these seriously drawn 10 years apart? You had an anime club at your University ten years ago!? Either you were at a fairly forward-thinking University and are older than I thought, of you forgot to read the thread rules.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #44
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Mongoose View Post
Were these seriously drawn 10 years apart? You had an anime club at your University ten years ago!? Either you were at a fairly forward-thinking University and are older than I thought, of you forgot to read the thread rules.
Ah you did say 5 years, Kate!

So Ruthy, the full body one was done some time ago and the CU recently?

Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #45
Spookyruthy
Sweatdrop Artist

-->
Sweatdrop Member

Quote:
D: I thought it was only 5 years? The first one was done about 2 months shy of 5 years ^^; And the anime club at my University has been running since 1998, the year I started secondary school!

I should really do a full-body one of the first one. Over the years I've tweaked Unii over and over to try and get her to look more unique. When I first 'inherited' her, she was very boring-looking and generally uninspiring, not really anything relevant to the club. So with some additions here and there, I came to this design. Her colour scheme ended up being changed to green hair, but I prefer her this way :3
Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #46
Darth Mongoose
The DupliKate

Send a message via AIM to Darth Mongoose Send a message via MSN to Darth Mongoose
-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookyruthy View Post
D: I thought it was only 5 years? The first one was done about 2 months shy of 5 years ^^; And the anime club at my University has been running since 1998, the year I started secondary school!
Weeelll, I did say an absolute minimum of 5 years, I guess. If that's some of the oldest manga art you can find, then okay.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #47
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Quote:
Weeelll, I did say an absolute minimum of 5 years, I guess. If that's some of the oldest manga art you can find, then okay.
Lol, are we being a grumpy old woman, Kate?

TBH I don't see that much difference in the two drawings. Obviously the colouring technique you've used has improved and developed, but they actually look quite similar otherwise. Have you got anything that really shows progression? Particularly something with really crap old art to compare to your lovely new stuff?

Old 09-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #48
Emma
Badgers!

Quote:

haha, 5 years is still within the rules. *hands Kate a cookie* clearly you need more choc chip in your day, hon
actually, scary thought - five years ago I was just starting out on Hamlet! 0_o

I'd disagree that you can't see progression in those two, but yep - as Kaz says, this is especially fun when you pull out something that was really crappy to start with, hehe. I guess what's being said in a roundabout way here is that your work even five years ago looked good....though now it's obviously better! So - um - it's a complement?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #49
Darth Mongoose
The DupliKate

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
haha, 5 years is still within the rules. *hands Kate a cookie* clearly you need more choc chip in your day, hon
Thankyouu. I think I may be lacking noms. I am very irritable today.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #50
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
actually, scary thought - five years ago I was just starting out on Hamlet! 0_o

I'd disagree that you can't see progression in those two, but yep - as Kaz says, this is especially fun when you pull out something that was really crappy to start with, hehe. I guess what's being said in a roundabout way here is that your work even five years ago looked good....though now it's obviously better! So - um - it's a complement?
Wow! Hamlet was five years ago?! You make me feel so oooold!

And yes, it was a compliment! It not so much fun for good stuff to still be good when you redraw. Ah, but mean old Kazu doesn't have any tact. You'll have to forgive her for that.

*Hands cookies to Ruthy, Kate and Emma.* Om nom nom.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #51
Emma
Badgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasu no Kazu View Post
Wow! Hamlet was five years ago?! You make me feel so oooold!
*om nom nom*
and yeah, tell me about it! haha. But don't worry - we're not THAT old...I think it's actually coming up 3 years since its release...it's just that I started it quite a while earlier of course, haha XD
Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #52
Spookyruthy
Sweatdrop Artist

-->
Sweatdrop Member

OK, I went a-huntin' round the old hard drive and found one (In a folder called 'Crap Old Crap')! I drew it when I was 15 (so thats 7 years ago D: ) - I remember spending ages trying to get the pose right and failed anyway (but at the time I thought it was DA BOMB)

Soooo I quickly did some sketching in PS did a quick colour job and here's the WIP:

I actually quite like the design, pose is better.

I'm really surprised how good the hands are in the first picture considering at the time I used to leave most sketches handless because I didn't even want to attempt hands for fear of ruining the picture.

Then again, handless sketches are kinda creepy.

Now that I've found some old sketches I can redo more. This is fun
Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #53
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Ooh yeah! That's awesome! Huge progression in drawing there.

"Crap old crap"

Old 09-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #54
Mimi
Binky Boy!

Hey, for fifteen it's not bad crap
gives me hope for the future

Less complaining, More drawing!
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #55
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
Hey, for fifteen it's not bad crap
gives me hope for the future
Hellz yeah, you've all seen my ham-fisted teenage drawing. Despite drawing constantly to the exlusion of almost anything else I was rubbish, at least in comparison to some of the amazing stuff I see on teh interwebs. I kept working hard and I'm still not the next Hokage.

TBH I'm constantly surprised by how awesome so many young people* are on these forums.

*I mean, you know, aged under 21.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #56
naotavespaboy
Up and running!!

Alrighty this sounds fun. It was really hard finding old stuff as I tend to bin my old drawings after about a month or so. Anyway I managed to find a really old image of General Grotlek from the first run of Deepest Twilight done about 7-8 years ago (first attachment). The second attachment is a recent version done with screentone (image is cropped from a character profile). Its one of the first screentones I've done so its kinda rubbish....... The final attachment is a recent colour version cropped from a larger drawing.

Anyway thanks for the cool challenge its great seeing how much people have improved and altered their styles over the years!

Can I have a cookie too? I'll exchange them for some chocolate buttons.

Last edited by naotavespaboy : 11-12-2009 at 06:57 PM.
naotavespaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #57
Carbondrake
Lord of Meh

Send a message via MSN to Carbondrake
-->

I may have been 16 then, but I didn't even start drawing for two years after that...I did just remix an old piece in the other thread though, from 3 years ago.
http://www.sweatdrop.com/forum/showt...?t=6947&page=8

Screw the rules, I have SAI

My dA account
Carbondrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #58
voxie
╬ ಠ益ಠ

This is a great idea - I find myself re-drawing my old classics all the time! Will post something soonie.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #59
felneymike

I'm probably just missing something, or i need to go in a submenu of a submenu of a submenu... but i can't see one single image in this thread! Which is a shame as i like these kinds of "re-do your old artwork" posts. The idealism of the "Yeah i'm gonna start a webcomic!!!!!!!!!!1" young artist with the technical skill of the "murrr wish i'd never started this" XD.
felneymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #60
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by felneymike View Post
I'm probably just missing something, or i need to go in a submenu of a submenu of a submenu... but i can't see one single image in this thread!
I suspect they fell prey to the forum makeover - I'm afraid we lost a lot of attachments then. There are a couple of art improvement threads around, though - have a search if you like that kind of thing. Here's the self-proclaimed Ultimate Art Improvement thread, for example, and it has at least some of its attachments