Index Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Sweatdrop Forums > Main Category > News & Announcements > Talking To Strangers

Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #101
Faye
Bunnies!

Default Holy granola!

Guess what I found today??? Flowers fanart by the most awesome Yun Min!

Thank you! ^______^
Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #102
wikivic
away with the bumblemoos

Send a message via Yahoo to wikivic
-->
Default Where did you read yours?

I only just got time to read Talking to Strangers over brunch while on holiday this past weekend - thought it might make a cool photo ^_^ (tho my waffle went cold whilst I was busy taking book/food pron pics )

I really enjoyed the whole thing - it was a good thought-provoking read with obviously top-notch artwork

I'm chomping at the bit to write a really in-depth review for Comic Mole but it will probably not be a timely affair as I'm tied up with a ton of work til mid-November at the earliest...by the time my review comes out I'm thinking everyone who reads it will have already read the book anyway Heh - maybe I'll have to make it more of an open discussion on the themes in the book rather than a 'why you should buy this book' kinda thing
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #103
Fehed
Juggling Art-Monkeys

The book needs pimping all year long anything on comic mole would be appreciated! Really glad you enjoyed it. I'm hoping there will be more reviews coming out over the next few months.

I do like that shot, by the way, makes me want waffles
Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #104
Mimi
Binky Boy!

mmmmmmmm... waffle

Less complaining, More drawing!
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #105
Quarklette
Sephryn Grey

Mine arrived yesterday.. TT^TT How I love it so!

It really is wonderous on all fronts, truly superb, well done guys!
Old 16-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #106
Fehed
Juggling Art-Monkeys

sweatdrop

Been so busy lately, I've not had a chance to share the recent reviews that cropped up. Here, have a gander -

Quote:
These stories are gobsmacking in a few ways: they're consistently good, which is very rare in anthologies, especially comics anthologies for some reason; they span a wide range of tones, styles, genres and themes; and they are, for want of a better word, chewy. - Katherine Farmar, Writers of Color 50 Book Challenge
# read more
Quote:
The book's strengths actually lie in its varied nature. Each story is unique in the kind of story it tells as well as the style with which it is executed. Where one story is chilling, another might be celebratory. Where one functions as fable, another runs toward parable. The author shows range and invention and with one exception the collection is an easy and fun read, by turns thrilling and sweet and tragic. - Seth Hahne, GoodReads
# read more
Quote:
Overall, Talking to Strangers is a book of creative promise. I’m sure it says something about the interconnected importance of story and art that the two best narratives, “Static” and “Flowers,” have the top art. With both elements working together, the two stories stand out. When the art does not support the writing, the elements are left slightly askew, disjointed, leaving four shorts that offer glimmers of wit and humanity. With all that said, for fans of dark fantasy, I suspect that Talking to Strangers will have something to please you. - Michael C. Lorah, Newsarama
# read more
And here's a shout-out from our very own Emma vieceli when she read the book -

Quote:
Have you guys checked out 'Talking to Strangers' from Sweatdrop yet? I don't think I mentioned it here yet... good god it's bloody gorgeous. Seriously impressive writing over several varying topics and moods...and the art is just breathtaking throughout. 'Flowers' especially (Faye Yong) just blew me away. It is an example of perfect, flawless comicking. The pacing, the layouts, the lovingly handled characters and dialogue. Fehed and :faye: have made something very special with it. But yes, the whole book is just edible. - Emma Vieceli
# link
Emma's been working hard keeping Dragon Heir: Reborn updated regularly while performing a balancing act with her freelance projects. You should check out the comic, then give the woman some love in the form of comments on her blog! There's a healthy chunk of pages online now.
Old 16-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #107
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

Ooh, nice reviews - congrats, they're well deserved
Old 18-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #108
Gothic_maidens_
Robin Henley

Send a message via MSN to Gothic_maidens_
-->

Did anyone else see the TTS review in the latest NEO mag?
I thought it deserved more stars IMHO.
Neo gave it 3.5
What did you peeps think of the review?
Old 18-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #109
Fehed
Juggling Art-Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic_maidens_ View Post
Did anyone else see the TTS review in the latest NEO mag?
I thought it deserved more stars IMHO.
Neo gave it 3.5
What did you peeps think of the review?
Oh awesome! I was wondering if they were going to review it in this months issue I've not had a chance to pick up a copy yet myself, have no clue what was said.

Still, 3.5 is a pretty good score for an anth! Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 18-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #110
Wing
Sorry, but no

I've got the latest issue, so I've scanned the review~ Sorry for bad quality, but the text is legible at least~

Current Love: Melty Chocolate
[dA | Twitter | Poupée | Wishlist | Sale]
Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #111
Fehed
Juggling Art-Monkeys

Thanks Wing I was really looking forward to reading this. I tried to get a copy the other night after work, but the Borders near me was shutting down and had virtually no stock left.

It's a good review. You know, this book would make an awesome Christmas present *hint hint nudge nudge*
Old 24-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #112
Fehed
Juggling Art-Monkeys

drawing

Merry Christmas!! Have some character sketches! Come new year, I may upload some page sketches as a treat if you guys are anything like me, you'll love the chance to get a glimpse at some of the behind-the-scenes prep work!
Old 24-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #113
Fehed
Juggling Art-Monkeys

Hey you! ... Yeah you, the one without the book. What's up with that? Do you realise that people are talking behind your back? Saying such things like "That dude is so uncool! He doesn't have a copy of 'Talking to Strangers' - Pffft! What a n00b! Total square!"

I can see you're sitting there on the fence. Well, maybe this snippet from SequentialTart.Com will finally bring you over to the cool side (warning: full version contains spoilers) -

Quote:
Talking to Strangers is an impressive read. It’s a good variety of stories that are very well told and supported by great art. With the possible exception of “Hero” nothing herein is depressing. The stories are frightening, sad, and speak to our core beliefs and fears, but they also carry a message of struggling to live and realizing how precious life is (and how horrible some, including ourselves, can make it). It’s true such stories may not be for everyone, but I can highly recommend it as a powerful read you wont soon forget. – Sheena McNeil, Sequential Tart
# read more
So, how about it? Click here to pick it up You won't be sorry. Trust me, I'm a writer!
Old 24-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #114
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

Send a message via Yahoo to Karasu no Kazu
-->

Quote:
Do you realise that people are talking behind your back? Saying such things like "That dude is so uncool! He doesn't have a copy of 'Talking to Strangers' - Pffft! What a n00b! Total square!"
I know! I know they are! Well, in my defence I meant to pick it up at Expo but I forgot. Next time, there is always next time.

Karasu no Kazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #115
Laura
BACK IN THE GAME

Or of course, the online shop! *points to top-right of screen*
Old 25-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #116
Nour-gihan
hoping for some rest

I wish I could order it, but in Libya we still don`t have credit cards or any of these services(only Western Union)
Nour-gihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #117
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nour-gihan View Post
I wish I could order it, but in Libya we still don`t have credit cards or any of these services(only Western Union)
Can you use Paypal? Or you can order them via Amazon, if there's a way for you to do that.
Old 25-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #118
Nour-gihan
hoping for some rest

Western Unione and Money Gram are the only way we have here We can`t have PayPal here
Nour-gihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #119
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

Send a message via Yahoo to Karasu no Kazu
-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Or of course, the online shop! *points to top-right of screen*
You convinced me. I ordered it. And Dragon Heir 9.

Karasu no Kazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #120
Fehed
Juggling Art-Monkeys

@Nour - Ah, sorry to hear that Western Union unfortunately is not an option. Stick around though, I may eventually put one of the stories from the book online for free reading

@Karasu - I saw actually, a few sales came through since that post went up yesterday. You're all on your way to being part of the cool crowd now!

Another review popped up online this morning (warning: full version contains spoilers, king of) -
Quote:
In the foreword to this short-story collection, author Fehed Said explains the genesis of its title. “In desperate or even just unfamiliar circumstances,” he notes, “we are more than willing to talk to anyone who will listen. We seek comfort in the company of strangers, often accept help without question.” That motif is developed, to varying degrees, throughout the six stories that comprise this anthology. [...] Talking to Strangers contains more hits than misses, offering readers an appealing and varied assortment of stories illustrating a simple theme: “Only connect!” - Katherine Dacey, The Manga Critic
# read more