Index Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Sweatdrop Forums > Main Category > Sweatdrop Central > what is the best? (Markers)

Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Luana

Default what is the best? (Markers)

hi everyone!! what do you think are the best markers? copic or letraset pantone? what do you suggest me? thank you.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Raymond chow

at the moment im usin letraset. i didnt know copic did markers as well?

their liner pens are good though.
Raymond chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
miles

Send a message via MSN to miles
-->

Copics by far.
Copic sketch or their smaller cousins copic ciao.

Most likely your favourite mangaka uses them in his/her traditional colour pieces

Kubo, obata, kishimoto...etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond chow View Post
i didnt know copic did markers as well?
Where have you been?!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Raymond chow

okaaaaaay im gonna join the copic marker wave
Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Sonia Leong
Executive Princess

Sweatdrop Admin

It depends on the way you use them.

---

Letraset markers are very easy to get hold of in this country, and they are two main ranges - Promarkers (which are cheaper and have a fine / chisel tip) and Trias (which are more expensive, but with more ink and fineliner/brush/chisel tip). They do last for ages though. I've demoed them and other Letraset products over the past five or so years and I top up when I can.

Copics generally come with a brush/chisel tip as standard but are more expensive as a whole, even with their budget and pro ranges. The main difference there is ink amount, so some last longer than others. I demoed them back in 2005-2006 and I have a set of 144 colours I still use today.

Deleter Neopikos are the cheapest and their brush tips are beautiful, but they dry out fastest. But they have been around for years and a strong alternative to Copics, I used them before Copics even, bought around a hundred pens back in 2003 and still have around 50 colours I use for my event sketches.

There are other brands of markers as well (Zig Kuretake, Shinhan, Tonbo, etc.) but I've not used them as much. They tend to be a bit bigger and chunkier to use, but with impressive ink flow.
---

So if you're the type that needs many colours, go for cheaper options. If your style is light and airy, you want a dry-type pen. If you need intense saturation or use minimal palettes, go for the more expensive ones with bigger ink reservoirs, or the ranges which are re-fillable.

Sonia Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Raymond chow

@ sonia

which brand of pens would you say is least likely to dry out?

thats my only gripe about the trias
Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Sonia Leong
Executive Princess

Sweatdrop Admin

The ones which have stayed wettest for longest are:

Letraset Promarkers (for some reason!)
Copics Sketch and Ciao
Kuretake Kurecolor

BUT BUT BUT - ALL PENS DRY OUT IF YOU STORE THEM BADLY.

Store them on their side, like wine bottles. Then they will last years and years.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Wayne
Purloiner of shooies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia Leong View Post
The ones which have stayed wettest for longest are:

Letraset Promarkers (for some reason!)
I bought a set of those back in 2005. They still work. Probably because I'd stored them in a drawer on their side. Though to be fair I've never used them for more than a few pictures.

Quote:
Then they will last years and years.
Now I know why, though I never had the benefit of this information. I got it right by accident.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Raymond chow

@ sonia

thanx for the tips. i currently keep them in their zipcases in stacks like CDs. most frustrating thing was some pens drying even though i hardly used them. ill take what you said into consideration the next time i buy.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Rabbityak90
Stephanie

Send a message via MSN to Rabbityak90
-->

I use letraset Promarkers...They last ages! and you can get some really great results with them!

also they just brought out their flexi range too , they're made using the same ink so you can use both types together.

I have a few copics, I just personally prefer Promarkers
Rabbityak90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
miles

Send a message via MSN to miles
-->

letraset pro-
First markers I purchased, great for beginners. extremely cheap

However because of the chisel tip it creates that streaky effect(dont expect to use the broad tip in small drawings).
Oh and don't let the box art put you off the markers they can be the real deal in the right hands!

letraset tria-
same as above in my opinion but more expensive(as much as a standard copic) but have different tips. That thing is NOT a brush tip!
http://letrasetblog.com/design/geoff...t-illustrator/
(Heh. Almost looks like one piece!)

Copic standard, ciao and sketch-
as easy to use as the previous markers but because of their price you may want to reconsider if you don't feel you're worthy of them yet lol. Its best to work your way up to these.

The quality is by far the best in my opinion with the ciao and sketch brush tips as they can imitate a true watercolor effect and you don't get that streaky effect (even with the chisel tips of the standard copics)

Because the letraset trias cost the same as copics I'd just by copics.

If that didnt convince you....

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8554/bakumanch11.jpg

or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...z1ootpdw#t=61s
Old 03-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Darth Mongoose
The DupliKate

Send a message via AIM to Darth Mongoose Send a message via MSN to Darth Mongoose
-->

I like copics and use them for my out-and-about work when I need to colour things on the go and give it to the client straight away, like con protraits and sketches. They are expensive, but they last a long time, and you can replace the ink and the nibs, meaning that once you've paid out, a copic marker is for life.

The other reason I like Copic better than the competition is that the colours are just a touch more natural and subtle.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Hunter
is all tied up!

I don't have either, but from what Anjiten has told me, Letraset tends to dry out quickly. That big set she won in a Sweatdrop competition a few years ago dried out very fast, within a couple months I think, which was a shame. But she's had the same Copics for ages, and they've been perfectly fine. I know you can buy refills for Copics, too - not sure if you can get them for Letraset.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

Send a message via Yahoo to Karasu no Kazu
-->

The main drawback of copics as far as I can tell is that they are difficult to get hold of. Trias are everywhere!

I know this goes against the grain, but I found Copic Ciaos not as good as Promarkers as the coverage on the paper was just not as good, it tended to pool into a mottled texture. Letraset however had really good colour coverage. That was what made me decide to buy Trias rather than Copic markers.

They do seem to dry out quickly, I have a drawer full of dead ones. The good news is for Anjiten et all that you can buy refills and replacement nibs for Trias pretty much anywhere.

I am also a big fan of the triple nib on Trias, I'm not sure if Copics have those as standard... but I like being able to block in with the blocky bit, shade with the brush and put details in with the thin nib.

Copics look more convenient to take around with you as they are about half the size of Trias, which makes me wonder why Trias need to be quite so fat!

Overall, judging by my limited experience with Copics Letraset has the edge. But I still use my Copics along with them as my set has some really nice colours.

For Miles, the chisel tip doesn't create streaky effects as long as you go over the patch you're colouring several times while the ink is still wet. I love chisel tips.

The best thing I can suggest is that you buy a few of each and just try them out before investing in a massive set.

Karasu no Kazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Sonia Leong
Executive Princess

Sweatdrop Admin

Letraset refills exist for Trias, not Promarkers, but I found the Trias to dry out faster than the Promarkers. It's a shame about Anjiten's set, my Promarkers have lasted me years, longer than some of my Copics - I wonder how she stored them?

I know that all brands (Letraset in particular, the staff are very keen for feedback and suggestions) are always innovating though, so I'm not sure whether the design has improved.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Hunter
is all tied up!

I think she just stored them in a desk drawer in her bedroom? I'll ask. Is there an ideal room temperature or something, to store markers at? Do people store them in the fridge or something? XD I did wonder if we'd won some old stock by mistake - not to sound ungrateful for the prize or anything! From what I remember (like I said, it's been years), she got the markers and screentone packs and other art-related prizes, relegated them to a drawer while the two of us learned the ins and outs of Manga Studio (best prize ever! ) and then, a couple months later, opened the packet to find that several had dried out. But I could be remembering this wrong, mind you. I'll ask and see if she remembers.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

Send a message via Yahoo to Karasu no Kazu
-->

I bought a bunch of new Trias and some had dried out so I took them back to the shop, so I guess it does happen from time to time. Maybe you guys just got some duff ones accidentally.

I store markers on my desk. Which is a sensible place. I don't think it's like blood plasma and needs refrigeration.

Karasu no Kazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
Neil
Cardboard boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldingshovel View Post
Folding Shovel site
Folding Shovel site
Shovel
Is this one of them popular musics the kids are listening to nowadays?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
Sonia Leong
Executive Princess

Sweatdrop Admin

Don't feed the trolls/spammers, Neil! removing and banning that user now