Index Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Sweatdrop Forums > Main Category > Tea Room > What manga are you reading now?

Old 17-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #1141
Yang213

I bought volume #1 of Dragon Head
A friend of mine said it was good, i just started reading today
Old 17-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #1142
Milk-Tea

A manga that I have read so many times and am currently reading at the moment is 'Say I love You' by Hazuki Kanae. I love it so much, I think it might be my favourite manga.
Milk-Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #1143
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

I've just been catching up on House of Five Leaves, Bakuman and Arisa. And I've also read Otomen (up to volume 13, which I think is all that's out). I got vol 1 from Neo with their 1-year subscription offer - it wasn't the manga I asked for but actually I'm really glad they sent it. It's daft and wonderful and just the kind of thing you need when you get home from work It's about a guy named Asuka, who I think is around 17-18 years old. He's good at Kendo and Judo (?), tall, good-looking, seen as the ultimate manly man - but he secretly loves sewing, cooking, and cute things. His father left his family when Asuka was very little because, he says, "I always wanted to be a woman". Asuka's mother, obviously rather traumatised by this, has raised Asuka to be utterly manly and he's hidden his girly hobbies and fancies until now. But as the manga starts, he falls for Ryo, a girl in his class who happens to be the exact opposite of him - raised by her martial artist father, she loves martial arts and is totally hopeless at things like sewing, cooking etc. The extra element thrown into the mix is Juta, a classmate, who's following Asuka and Ryo's awkwardly romantic relationship for his own reasons - he's got a fantastic secret. The story goes just anywhere it needs to for fun and feeling, and I really like it ^^

EDIT: For anyone who's read it, my favourite scene so far has to be Jewel Sachihana's award acceptance speech!
Old 18-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #1144
felneymike

Just read Bakuman book 10. The scene where they follow thier old editor around and then overhear him using cheesy chat-up lines in a resturant is hilarious.

Currently reading Sita: Daughter of Earth, from Campfire Comics. It's based on either a Hindu or 'secular' Indian legend, about a girl who is born from the earth, marries a similarly divinely-born prince and goes through various adventures.

Before that it was Mission To Patagonia, possibly only the third ever Falklands War-related Commando issue. Except it's not really about that anyway, just takes place at the same time. It features a rogue general creating a deadly incurable bioweapon aimed at... sheep!

Next I ought to read a comic from, erm, Uruguay. What language do they speak there? XD
felneymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #1145
Laura
BACK IN THE GAME

I have a new hero, IT AM PUNK SHARK!!! Nice job, Anaseed Man!!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/91594697/punk-shark-pack <3
Old 22-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #1146
KimShibbyBob
Aspiring Artist

I've just finished Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, but I wasn't too impressed with it, I liked the story but I found the pages a bit busy, maybe I shouldn't have read it just before bedtime
KimShibbyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #1147
felneymike

Attempting to read the issue of Shonen Jump for the first week in March 2012, I got it at the Japan Centre that week. An hour and a half's work and I've almost finished the first picture of the first story
Old 27-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #1148
Luana

"Rin-ne" by Rumiko Takahashi, "Sakura Hime" by Arina Tanemura... great works...
Old 28-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #1149
miles

Send a message via MSN to miles
-->

Just Yotsuba&!? And One piece
I think they are the only two series than mean anything to me nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luana View Post
"Rin-ne" by Rumiko Takahashi,
How is this?
Old 28-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #1150
Katja

I barely ever read mangas, but I picked up Bakuman and was pretty hooked I loved the story structures and just how effective they were, but despite knowing the tricks up its sleeve, it was hard for me to put it down. It also sparked up some inspiration in me again, which was much needed since the last summer had been so disastrous that it left me never wanting to draw a comic again XD

Another one I read recently was Rabbit Doubt - the atmosphere was fantastic in there, and I learned a lot of nice tips from there when it came to shading and such. The artwork was fantastic and definitely matched the style of the comic and I would definitely recommend it to others if they're into horror and mystery. If you *do* read it, I would like somebody to give me some feed back about the ending, because for some reason I found it disappointing - maybe I misread both times I read it, but there seemed to be a few loop holes. Nevertheless, it's the journey where you get the greatest experience, and whether or not the ending was that great doesn't negate the brilliance of the rest of the story
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #1151
felneymike

I began the first volume of Tegami Bachi today, I won't be finishing it! It's about the postmen in a fantasy world where the "sun" is permenantly over the capital city, and everybody else lives in rocky 'rings' outside, which are infested with giant insects.

The comic suffers from the "show, don't tell" syndrome which has infected comics like a form of religious mania - making the fights into sequences of irritating confusion. It also doesn't help that the weapons the characters use are powered by "Heart", which also contains thier memories - resulting in mid-battle flashbacks!

Maybe I've just got too used to Commando style XD

Edit: Oh yeah, how good was the text story in The Phoenix recently? \m/
Old 30-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #1152
CowgirlEm
I lurk _

I actually picked up a load of my "home-grown" (uk) manga from my parent's house the other day so I'm having a lovely time re-reading all of that ^_^

I got straight into Love Stuffing - and am recalling why I loved it so much!
Crying again at Biomecha 8 (Why Laura... WHY???)
Squeeing over EllaxPotus in Dragon heir!
remeniscing with Leek & Sushi!
and Marvelling at Karen Yumi Lusted's ability to create so much manga so quickly o.o;;;

and that's just the tip of it!!

I hadn't realised how large my collection was! I brought it ALL home with me!

but yeah... I guess that answers what I'm reading at the moment! ^^;;;
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #1153
dogtopus
^o ^

Just read the big book of King City (not really manga, but totally amazing ) by Brandon Graham and man I love that book. I feel like I've read half of it, there's just too many puns in there to read all at once. but yeah, if my flat was burning, this would be one of the first books I'd grab. And not just because it's such a fire hazard! it's because it's awesome!

Also I read Pluto by Naoki Urasawa again and it blew my mind, again, more than it did before. Amazing book. One many I'm-not-crying-honest moment per volume, I promise!

Other than that, nothing new! I'm too poor! Just re-reading! ;_;
Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #1154
superdef

Love King City! I read the original volume from Tokyo Pop a while back and it instantly found a place on my favourites list. I managed to get a couple of issues of the new series, now stuck waiting for amazon to get their act together and send me the big collection.

I've recently read Sharknife: Stage First & Double Z by Corey Lewis. Its loud, brash and tongue in cheek, the plot is about the super-powered defender of a restaurant who battles monsters sent by his gangster arch-rival. There are lots of nods and jokes to various manga & video games and its great fun

I've also recently read the first volume of Kurosaki Corpse Delivery Service which was pretty cool & the first volume of Twin Spica which was fantastic
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #1155
Hunter
is all tied up!

Hey! I've read the first volume of Kurosaki Corpse Delivery Service as well! The glove puppet guy is too awesome ("It's not me, it's the puppet. Sorry.") and it cracks me up whenever the monk goes "Holy shit". Not sure if I'll be getting more of them, what with money being tight - I love it but I'm not "in love", ya know what I mean?

I finally, finally got my full set of Fullmetal Alchemist back, and am happily rereading them. It's been so long I forgot a lot of plot details, and that makes it an even better experience, haha. Love, love, love! Anybody else rereading something good?
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #1156
Karasu no Kazu
carrion eater

Send a message via Yahoo to Karasu no Kazu
-->

I've been reading some old school manga recently by Osamu Tezuka!

OK it was a while ago that I read this but Ode to Kirihito is amazing! Classic Tezuka awesomeness. It's very dark, very creepy, and the plot line is, to say the least, odd, but it's a very human story. This really is a graphic novel in the truest sense - it's big, and epic.

I also read a bit more Black Jack, which I love for the bizarre counterpoint between the dark humour and the gory technical operation scenes. I'm not sure whether this will stay being fun for all 13 volumes or whatever as there isn't really any progression in it. However, as its the only comic book I've scene with scenes of people's insides drawn with medical-book diagram accuracy I will probably read all of it.

Now I'm reading Princess Knight which has just been re-issued by Vertical. It's ... well... I think I would like this a lot if I was under 10. The artwork is still wonderful, and as the first of its genre, it's notable, but there isn't exactly a huge amount going on. A princess disguises herself as a man, then as a woman, then there are some comedy capers and tragic moments. I guess it's pretty Shakesperian on that level, and has some enlightened views on the right of succession but it's not really doing it for me. Yet.

I'm really looking forward to MW which I shall be reading as soon as it's next back on the library shelf.

Karasu no Kazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #1157
ero-kage
Dark Brotherhood Listener

I'm rereading the Darren Shan manga :]
ero-kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #1158
felneymike

Since the MCM and especially Camcon I've read...
<_> ALL THE SWEATDROP
...Except the stuff I haven't bought yet, which isn't much XD.

Also I noticed some small pressers give away postcards with thier art on. I thought about a new hobby - getting a photo album (amazingly, places still sell them XD) and filling it with these cards, writing little notes on the back about who'se art it is, and which convention it was bought / obtained at. Will cause no end of confusion for my great grandchildren in 100 years time XD.

Also just finished the Schoolgirls' Own Annual 1940... which is odd, considering it "reviewed" it at Christmas XD.

And the usual Commando's and Phoenixes.
Old 26-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #1159
Ushio-kun
Nocturnal Scribbler

I finally bit the bullet and have started reading One Piece. I'm loving Oda's style and that his mind seems to be a seemingly endless source of imagination. His sense of fun seals the deal for me.

Next up on my list is Blacksad 4 which comes out next month. I already have it in French as I thought Dark Horse would hold back and do another compilation. I was wrong. Neeeeeed it! XD
Ushio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #1160
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

I am so looking forward to Blacksad 4!

Recently, I've been reading all the awesome small press comics I collected at Expo I've put reviews of some of them here, much as I did last time. I'm looking forward to next Expo