Index Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Sweatdrop Forums > Manga Workshop > Manga Creation > Continuity...?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Ushio-kun
Nocturnal Scribbler

Default Continuity...?

Any ever have problems with continuity in their comics?

Quite a few times I've had to backtrack to fix things like objects switching hands between pages etc.. I've even got a comic where the wrong hand is on the wrong arm! (no one's said anything, so maybe I got away with it...)
Ushio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
wyldflowa
~ the wild card ~

Send a message via MSN to wyldflowa
-->

I'm quite pedantic with my work and do so much of it off style sheets that I rarely make continuity errors in terms of character design... when I do it's usually minor things like rings, bracelets or earrings on the wrong side or something.

Style sheets are dead useful for keeping character designs spot on though, have it up above where you work so you're always reminded what they should look like.

As for wrong hands and things, I've always managed to catch those sorts of mistakes before anyone else sees them.

ohohohoho watch me
wyldflowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

Don't talk to me about continuity. That WRETCHED VILLAGE! I have a 3D MODEL to help me keep it straight and I still had to SPEND HOURS FIXING STUPID RAILINGS! Never mind the supports. Honestly, the whole thing was such a bad idea.

Why yes, I am working on the Pocketful of Clouds book right now, why do you ask?

In general, within a scene and not including wide shots of the whole location, I don't have much of a problem. I usually have a mental map of where people and portable objects are in relation to each other, so I don't normally put things in the wrong place. But going back to an existing location or drawing a wide view of the whole room/building/city - I tend to get very worried about that, and I have maps and reference pictures for the most complicated or often-used places. I think the thing I find hardest isn't location so much as scale - sometimes something ends up twice as big as it was in a previous scene and I just didn't spot it when drawing (the scales will be subtly skewed so that X is the same size in relation to Y, and Y is the same size in relation to Z, but X and Z are totally wrong with each other. It ought not to happen that way, but it does).

I don't think I notice it very much in comics I read, but then, I don't know if that's because there aren't any continuity problems or I just didn't notice them
Old 15-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Laura
BACK IN THE GAME

Every time. I had to spend a good while making sure that in my recent comic, that my panels flowed better than they originally did (flipping, SHRIEK!), and getting wristbands correct and the right tone on the right trousers, areas of t-shirts etc etc... argh! But I think it's good quality control, and well worth the care invested in the long run ^_^

A good way to avoid it as people have mentioned above, is to have design sheets and pointers written out for yourself to eradicate continuity errors. Then when your comic is done, go through it one character at a time, then one environment at a time. The character design sheets would make for great extras at the back of each book
Old 16-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
felneymike

I'm pretty anal about this sort of thing in my own work, though still manage loads of spelling and grammar mistakes in text stories XD.
Virtually every scene I create these days where some sort of perspective involved gets 3D Modelled, printed and traced, so that eliminates the chance of a window disappearing or something.
Though when I look back at really old comics I did as a kid it's surprising how 'accurate' they are in terms of, say, the ranks of soldiers, numbers/positions of starships and so on. That said the design of starships and uniforms of soldiers were never very deeply detailed either. One of my more recent characters has a big scar down his face that occasionally vanishes XD.
Mind you I'm still terrible at drawing distinctive faces, though am getting a little better, I think. The football story I want to create is going to be a real challenge, 11 people to invent! ...I may just steal my friend's looks.

Oh yeah, as an aside the team on Dan Dare in the 50's 3D modelled the ships, bases and uniforms of thier characters. But as computers back then were phenominally expensive and the size of houses their "3D models" were actual models! Plus they took endless photographs of people posing in the uniforms to get the fabric folds right.
felneymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Ts'aoTs'ao
Ts'aoTs'ao

Maybe I should start making design sheets! >_<

I had a few continuity errors in the first couple of pages of Neon Loneliness (but I will not point them out!)

After Neon Loneliness I have been really anal about continuity, but what I think will help is to have someone you know (and trust) check for any errors.
Ts'aoTs'ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
+Shiny
Resident Noobie

Sweatdrop Member

...As everyone knows, by backgrounds are STILL so simple and bland, there really isn't much to make a mistake with XD

Though I tend to draw my characters obsessively, so chances of there being something wrong with them (such as missing an earring or something) isn't much since I've gotten myself used to drawing them.
But then again, it's not like my designs are all that detailed either so I think their all pretty simple and easy to remember how to draw ouo.
And I like keeping costumes loose so they'll usually change clothes multiple times anyway.

I think the problem with me is not so much continuity, but consistency/
So many times, I've looked at two panels of the same character and they don't even look like themselves...orz
+Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Nocause
for alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts'aoTs'ao View Post
I had a few continuity errors in the first couple of pages of Neon Loneliness (but I will not point them out!)
I'll also keep schtum about that one too.

I did make one big continuity error where a character, who was trapped underneath an unconscious alien, somehow managed to move 180 on the floor. Dunno how I missed that. Nowadays I take much more consideration with things like that especially when it comes environments.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
fgeorge

Apart from being able to come up with interesting and good manga prints, it would be great to develop continuity on your work. It would actually be great to not to see a fluctuating point of interest from people.

That means that you have to build and sustain whatever your have going. It would matter that you are able to do something on the regular and not like have something now and fail on the next as that surely would not appeal to your readers.
fgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
clafann1

When I stop doing comics for some days, going back is pretty hard