Index Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Sweatdrop Forums > Main Category > Coffee Lounge > RIP Jean "Moebius" Giraud

Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Neil
Cardboard boxes

Default RIP Jean "Moebius" Giraud

Jean Giraud, the French comic artist who worked under the pseudonym "Moebius", has died aged 73:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/17327374

I haven't read as much of Giraud's work as I'd like to, but I've seen plenty of his illustrations in books and online; one of the most distinctive styles in comics. (I can remember trying to imitate his colouring style years back, not with great results)

Any other Moebius fans here?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Ts'aoTs'ao
Ts'aoTs'ao

I've been a fan and admirer of Moebius' artwork for many years but sadly translations of his work are either hard to come by or are simply out of print. His collaboration with Jodorowsky on The Incal is my only exposure to his physical work (as opposed to online images of his art), and the imagination and creativity from both of these creators is truly inspirational. I have yet to read their other collaboration, Madwoman of the Sacred Heart, which I have a copy of in my room.

I think one comic that's overdue a reprint in English is Arzach, which is one of the few comics I'm genuinely looking forward to. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Silver Surfer: Parable when it finally gets a reprinting some time this year.

This interview between Moebius and Hayao Miyazaki should probably interest the fellow forum members here. http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/int..._moebious.html
Ts'aoTs'ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Lisabags
Sipping tea and kicking ass

Moebius, noooooooo!!
i'm actually gutted :'C
Old 13-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
nattherat
EN

I have to say I'm more moved over this news than I have ever been over the death of an important and inspirational figure.

I made a tribute post here, where I wrote down my feelings as best I could about it.

I'm going to sorely miss him.
Old 16-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Neil
Cardboard boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts'aoTs'ao View Post
I've been a fan and admirer of Moebius' artwork for many years but sadly translations of his work are either hard to come by or are simply out of print.
Yeah, I remember looking for one of his books a few years ago after reading about it in Paul Gravett's book on graphic novels, and saw that all the copies on Amazon were very expensive. I notice that the one comic of his I've read (I borrowed the copy) is now going for 785...
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Laura
BACK IN THE GAME

Documentary here, a bit more info here.

Despicable that his works are barely available in English!! I wish to absorb more. RIP a hugely influential artist & illustrator.