Index Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Sweatdrop Forums > Sweatdrop Products > Comics > Strangers and Friends Webcomic

Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #81
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

3 pages uploaded!

I have little to say about these pages @_@
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #82
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

Still enjoying - I missed the last update due to being away, so plenty to catch up on this time ^^
Old 23-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #83
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

3 PAGES UPLOADED!

I'm so sorry about the dogy effect the screentone is giving off, it hopefully wont be like that in the print version 0_o

Say, do any of you have any questions you want to ask about the comic or characters??

You see, I'm apart of the website Zibaricon.org now, where S+F is being updated (every now and then I'll be putting extras up there which I'll link to ).
Anyway, every Friday I'm contributing to a podcast with the other comic creators there ^^ Its really fun, but one of things we like to do is answer questions that readers have/discuss comiky stuff in more detail.

So...if you have any questions, let me know, and I'll answer them in the podcast!

Thanks for your comment Morag, I'm glad you're enjoying it still ^_^
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #84
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

3 PAGES UPLOADED!

I enjoyed drawing the previous page, its a side of Hemu we havent really seen before, as he hardly shows any temper!
I'm sorry about not uploading these pages last Thursday, I wasnt feeling well all weekend so I never found the chance to upload.
Old 14-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #85
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

3 PAGES UPLOADED!

I've managed to work out a schedule which will hopefully give me more time to work on this. I miss drawing my comic every day!!
Also, I'm so behind on webcomics, I know some of you have been making exciting updates, and I havent been able to read them >_< Again, new schedule, hopefully more time to read stuff! ^_^
Old 27-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #86
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

6 pages uploaded!

...I'll miss drawing Eric, he was easy to draw
And it's weird drawing Hemu upset, I havent drawn him in this way before, but it seemed to me that he would get like that in this situation. I hope it makes a bit of an impact!

two weeks of work here, it seemed better to upload this whole scene in one go, although the original reason is that I went to an anime con last weekend and so was a little behind.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #87
aTaylor

Amazing!
What great comics you've created!

Grendel is awesome! All this is totally exciting!!
Don't stop!
aTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #88
Sun Kitten
A Pocketful of Clouds

Sweatdrop Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
...I'll miss drawing Eric, he was easy to draw
And it's weird drawing Hemu upset, I havent drawn him in this way before, but it seemed to me that he would get like that in this situation. I hope it makes a bit of an impact!
It worked very well - it was a really good scene. Ah, Eric! And poor Hemu, I'm rather worried about him now... come on, next update!

Oh yes, and I have a question. I love the concept of Strangers and Friends, but how did you come up with it? And how long is it intended to be - do you have it all planned out, or is it open-ended in your mind at the moment? ^^
Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #89
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

4 pages uploaded!
Read from page 191!!

This is the end of chapter 4, I'm looking forward to doing the story for the beginning of the next chapter. The last panel on this page is a bit of a preview

I enjoyed these last 4 pages. The whole chapter was kind of about 'exposing' Hemu and with it a lack of confidence- and these last few pages kinda emphasized that clash of different cultures. I wanted readers to see 'Hindi Hemu', and his culture/religion ^^

I did loads of research on Puja rooms though, and what goes into a prayer ritual. Wow there are loads of rules! Thankfully I know what way the house faces (in terms of north, east etc.), the curtains are shut in the top panel because you're not supposed to have any open windows on a certain side 0_o

Thank you Morag ^_^
And to answer your question, I felt inspired by how old horror stories, such as Dracula or Jekyll/Hyde are more like fantasies that are creating social commentary through a simple concept rather then just trying to be scary. So I wanted to do something along those lines.
The general story though came from many experiences I've had around Bassett. Some locals seem to of become a bit nasty towards foreigners- the story was partly inspired by a family friend who owns a restaurant, who got a lot of nastyness because he was Indian and Muslim :S

And I have the whole story planned out, its gonna be fairly long I think ^^ We're almost half way through now. I didnt imagine I'd make it this long though, I dont plan the number of pages (I probably should XD )
Old 29-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #90
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

Long time no see! Finally a new chapter has started!

I've been super busy recently, so just havent been on the forums or had time to update my comic. But hopefully that wont be the case now ^^
Old 30-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #91
Laura
BACK IN THE GAME

Oh lovely! I look forward to reading ^_^
Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #92
mah12475

happy

Hi Everyone. I'm a complete newbie and enjoy much more in this forum.thanks bex for ur nice comics.
thanks to all
mah12475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #93
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

Another one page update,

I'll probably do more pages next week =3 This weekend was the first in a LONG time that I was able to just do nothing and have me time, so I was kinda lazy in getting this page finished hehe (totally worth it).

A nice opportunity in this story to explain a little bit more Hemu's background/what exactly he does. I realise although I've explained in descriptions a little, all of Hemu's alter ego has been pretty random in terms of what he actually does and how he came to be like that within the comic itself. This page explains a little further I hope!

Thanks so much for your comment Laura (and Mah12475, I think, if you're not a spambot! ) ^_^
Old 21-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #94
Ami
Ami

Default Gwaaah!

What a cliffhanger. I'm on the edge of my seat here. Hope to see more pages soon.
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #95
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

Aw thank you Ami, I'm glad you're enjoying it! ^_^

I've done a lot of pages since I last updated, but it seemed silly to keep posting with one page, so I thought I'd wait til I'd released a chunk to give notification.

Many pages, read fromhere!

I've actually drawn a TON of pages 'cos I'm getting excited about drawing whats coming up, I just havent sat down and coloured it ^^;; I wanted to make this story very folk song-ish, I hope it came across like one of those stories.

In totally different news, I'm moving on Friday!
I need a little extra help with money, as I'm not getting any pay for my current work until the end of the month (a bit of a paradox. Need money to do my work, but wont get money until work is finished...whaaat?) ;_; And all my savings suddenly have to go towards moving house.
So I'm offering cheap commissions of literally *anything* you want- if anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it <3 You can see more info here:

http://naoru.deviantart.com/#/d5dg45w
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #96
Ami
Ami

Default Good Luck!

Good luck with your move. I remember how stressful it can be, so keep your chin up. ^-^
I hope that wont stop you from entering the Manga Jiman this year. I loved your entry last year. I seem to like it more each time i read it. Heh Heh!
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #97
Colemor

very interesting plot Bex, I am really impressed by the character hemu... if you are writing some other stories then plz share them with us.
Colemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #98
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

8 PAGES UPLOADED! read from page 206!!

IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. I ACTUALLY UPDATED. WITH PAGES AND EVERYTHING.

How amazing am I?! XD I apologise for no updates. I moved house quite suddenly, and consequently chaos ensued

Did you enjoy the story? The last sentence from the story is a well known verse found in several folk songs, most notably various versions of 'Barbara Allen'. I wanted Hemu's parents to have a folk-tale style story, so I finished with that verse.

How do you like child-Hemu? XD I'm not sure how old he is here, maybe like 4 or 5? 0_o I just wanted to show Grandpa filling Hemu's head with overly high expectations lol. Way to go on the parenting, Gramps.

I will most definitely have updates next week, and I'm looking forward to getting back into things

Thanks for your comments guys, its muchly appreciated! ^__^
Old 17-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #99
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

A 3 page update today

I give to you a thrilling sequence of someone reading and looking out of a window XD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 216.jpg (195.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 23-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #100
bex
Sweatdrop Artist

Sweatdrop Member

3 Pages uploaded!

family reunion! I wanted to emphasise how close these two are...Hence one reason behind having the story at the beginning. They only have each other really! So I think Hemu missed his Grampa a lot while he was in jail.