View Single Post
Old 28-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Darth Mongoose
The DupliKate

Send a message via AIM to Darth Mongoose Send a message via MSN to Darth Mongoose
-->

Really interesting podcast. Especially because ZOMG you actually called me by my name!? What is this madness!?

I actually started out as a webcomic artist, then started to dabble in print comics myself, and it probably shows because I write pages like a webcomic artist even when working for print. I always forget I can make 2 pages spreads and unconsciously end pages with a 'hit' because I think of pages individually, not sitting next to each other.

Megatokyo wasn't just my first webcomic experience, but actually my first manga (as opposed to anime) experience, so since I had read short comics and webcomics before getting into reading Japanese manga, this 'end with a punchline/drama hit' seemed like just 'how you make comics'. When working for webcomics, you should try to think of pages existing individually, so it's a good habit, because even an archive-trawler will have a longer pause between pages than somebody flipping pages would. When writing for print though, I really have to fight these habits because I want to punchline everything, and never think about the pages as a spread, or putting cliffhangers on page turns!

One thing not mentioned in the podcast, which I've found from experience, and has been confirmed by a lot of friends on webcomic communities: Colour gets more readers. This isn't to say that you can't have a popular black and white webcomic (just look at megatokyo) but colour does attract people to a webcomic. With the old FanDanGo, my readership pretty much doubled when I switched to colour. That said, as Sonia mentioned, colouring takes a long time. It adds at least an hour per page for me compared to black and white! I think of 'Fan Dan Go' as a webcomic first and foremost, rather than a print comic that's going online, and try to make the most of the format, while also keeping everything I need to print it.

Oh, and since there are sites now like cafepress and the like...make some merchandise! You'd be amazed, but people do buy it. With one of these sites, you won't make a lot off purchases, but it won't cost you anything, so you have nothing to lose and a little to gain. Even with a readership of just a few hundred, I sold merch for the old version of the comic. When I reach 30 pages, I intend to get some Project Wonderful ads and make some merch. Merchandise is great! People pay you to advertise your comic!